Thursday, June 28, 2012

30 Day Book Challenge! Day 27: Surprise!

Day 27: What is a book with the most surprising plot twist or ending?

I'm sure I wouldn't know. I'm not usually a fan of the genre of books that throws surprising, jerking plot twists in that leave you spinning. I generally read books where at least the emotion - if not the details - of the end is fairly predictable. Maybe that's boring, but it's the truth. The only book I can think of that I positively jumped up-and-down with shock at the direction of the plot was:


Black as Night is the second book in the series I spoke of here, and, of course, I can't really tell you what the plot twist is about! However, the "surprise" speaks volumes about Regina Doman's ability to follow the fairy-tale plot (here, the story of "Snow White") and still keep you guessing. The surprise shouldn't be one; it makes completely logical sense when one keeps in mind the story of Snow White. Yet, I found myself shocked when all the pieces fell together!

It's a story of pain, grudges, estrangement, reconciliation, and forgiveness. Little did Bear know that his hesitancy in reaching out to his father - reaching over innumerable lists of wrongs done and hatred given - could have such devastating implications, not just in his spirit, but in the physical world. From the hilarious seven friars (who take the place of the seven dwarves) to the chilling, inexplicable pursuit of Blanche by the head of the Mirror Corporation, this story keeps you guessing as to what the outcome may be...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Bear,
I was thinking about our last conversation.
I don't know if I told you before that this summer at work I met a man who is dying, and I've been visiting him. He has no visitors except for me. Why? Because he won't forgive the people who hurt him, including his relatives and his sons. Now he's dying alone - well, practically alone. I'm the only visitor he has, and he doesn't seem to be well taken care of, so I've kept visiting him, even though it's sad to be around someone so bound by the past. It's very sad and so senseless. Even terrifying.
All I can think is that I don't want to see you become like this. I don't want to see you hardened, like this man is, by years of unforgiveness.
Not that I want to change you. But it seems that your past has a hold on you. Do you think that maybe you can't find peace and direction in your life because, on some level, you won't forgive?
I can only say this to you because you're my friend. Maybe seeing so much this summer has made me bolder. Or just more anxious that my friends and family don't end up like this man.
I'm sorry if this hurts you. But I thought you should know.
With love,
Blanche"
 


2 comments:

Lauren said...

I love plot twists! Do you remember the short story "Top Man" from BJ Literature? I think it was 9th grade...that was one of my most favorite stories ever, and I loved the twist at the end!

SarahJayne said...

Hmmm...was that the one about the Mt. Everest climb? I can't remember for sure...