Sunday, June 17, 2012

30 Day Book Challenge! Day 16: Think About It

...by the balcony window
Photo Credit

Day 16: What is a book you would recommend to an ignorant/close-minded/racist person?

Wow, suddenly after all sorts of silly questions like "what is a book that you hate?" comes a very serious query. Unfortunately, I'm a bit at a loss for the answer. My first thought was Mere Christianity, and I still think that is what I would recommend but... I've never been able to finish the book, so it feels rather funny to say I would recommend it.

What's that you say? Oh! I've tried to read it several times, but, in the words of Robert Frost, "something there is that doesn't love a wall" - or, in this case, doesn't allow me the privilege of finishing another C.S. Lewis.

For example:
- I checked it out from the library, but had to return it when I was only half-way through.

- A few months later, I checked it out from the library again, and, since it had been a while, re-started the book, only to have to return it when I was about half-way through.

- A year or so later, I bought the book to eliminate any difficulties of having to return it before being done... Sitting in the Chicago airport I was about - you guessed it! - half-way through when my plane boarded and I left it lying beside my vacated seat. I hope whoever picked it up had better luck finishing it than I!

Anyway, I am not at all satisfied with this answer, but I don't know that I can do any better at this present moment. Do you have any better-thought-out suggestions?
 


No comments: